Sunday, November 1, 2015

My Own Domain

I work in IT and for the most part, we've done all our own hosting. In the last few years though we've run into the need for some wordpress hosting and also the pain of administering those systems alongside all the other servers we have. I was tasked with finding some external wordpress hosting and decided that if I was going to do it right, I would have to try it out.

So, I've got a wordpress site now that I've been working on. Although I've had zero real issues with Blogger and have enjoyed the excellent (and free) service, I've decided to try to transfer this blog over to wordpress and my own domain. I've got years worth of documenting the journey here, so it's no small task. It's been a fun learning experience though.

At this point, I'm kind of living in two worlds. I'm definitely more comfortable with blogger and I find the interface for posting much easier, but that is probably my  bias speaking. We'll see how it goes. I may be doing it wrong, because I keep trying to make it's layout like a wider version of this site.

My new site is wanderingtrees.com.

I'm working my way through my posts reformatting and getting images resized. One of the things I like about it is that I picked a more roomy theme so many of my images (usually charts and spreadsheets) won't need to be clicked to view. That and there are some built in tools to get your blogger site into wordpress (with some quirks).

What I don't like about my wordpress test: spam from the comments. Lots of it. Immediately. I moderate the comments but robots don't know that. So I ended up getting akismet for it. Where blogger seems to have more features built in, wordpress has a host of plugins to download (and/or buy).

It will take some getting used to.

- Updates -


If you've read the rest of the internet and/or feel like following more of the ramblings you've found here, I'll post a few cross links over to the wordpress site.

In November 2015, I got the results back from AncestryDNA autosomal results for both myself and my wife and found an odd warm place in my heart for Ancestry's operation. I updated some things I learned about the DF95 Cumberland Cluster and added some more speculation. I also just came out and stated the obvious about my Elmore family.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2015/11


In December 2015, I received Y37 results for the U152 Thompsons and found some interesting matches for them, that might give me direction on the elusive Levi Thompson. I found a surprise Elmore related result at AncestryDNA at a close cousinship level and discovered a cold clammy place in my heart for Ancestry's operation. I also began to enter the darker places and explored the strange world of genealogical conspiracy.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2015/12


In January I ended my rant on the things that conspire to keep us from our information. I confirmed the U152 Thompson haplogroup and used a Family Tree DNA backbone panel to identify their subclade in U152. I rediscovered the joy in researching the Thompsons and tromping on familiar ground and I talked a bit about the hidden branches of the DF95 Cumberland Cluster.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2016/01


February has me contemplating time and meaning and how we stretch and compress these things to match our view of ourselves when presented with DNA evidence.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2016/02

In March I finished up a series of posts about being locked in to our ideas of ourselves and manipulating the data to match what we already think. Of course if you've seen my posts here you know I am definitely guilty of that too.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2016/03

May 2016 is a big month for me. In May I sort out my ancestryDNA Elmore match, break through some brick walls, connect a previously unknown Elmore son to the family of Halsey Orton Elmore and finally see the dark matter holding the Elmores and Thompsons together.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2016/05

June 2016. I added a post about the Carr family. A triangulation group I tried to put together about a year ago, but didn't quite succeed. Now with the discovery of my Elmore/Carr family, those matches make a lot of sense if not a successful triangulation.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2016/06


July 2016. I have the opportunity to do more work with the U152 Thompsons and AncestryDNA is living up to the hype as far as getting new matches goes. Getting triangulated matches is still a struggle though as I find that more of my matches do not attach trees, have hidden trees and do not respond to contacts.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2016/07


August 2016. I spent some time on DF95 and our Y DNA island in time. I talked about Y DNA extinction events and trying to get dates around those events using SNPs. I also posted about Alex Williamson's big tree and his work connecting the lonely DF95 branch to another group under Z18, giving us a common male ancestor after Z18 and a sibling group of men who used to be their own island.

https://wanderingtrees.com/2016/08



No comments:

Post a Comment