Friday, August 17, 2012

Stinsons

Last year while working with two different genetic matches at 23 and me, I noticed that they shared the same Stinson and Bailey family. In particular they shared James Bailey and Margaret Stinson. Because these two people matched me on different chromosomes, I put it off as an interesting coincidence among people with roots in Virginia. Since I also have roots in VA, it's possible our match is there somewhere.

Here is a link to a family tree containing the Baileys: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/l/a/Norman-R-Blankenship-VA/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0237.html

This year working with two more matches, this time they do share a match on the same chromosome, I found that one of them has a Stinson family and that the match is most likely on the branch of their family tree with the Stinson in it married to a Burkett. Their Stinsons go to the Carolinas. They also overlap with a person who has Stinsons, Barbers and Boulwares from South Carolina:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=marciamcclure&id=I5678

It turns out the Stinsons are Stephensons from Scotland. So I independently have four matches with Stinson/Stephenson connections.

There is a yest another person in this research mix who has no Stinsons (call her J) that I have seen so far, but does have a lot of Scots who move into Canada. On my grandmother's side, I also have Scots who move into Canada, but no Stinsons.

On the list of names from the memorial linked above, I do see some I recognize like the Strouds that appear to be linked to so many of my genetic matches and the Johnstons from  J's family tree. I also see Baileys from my matches last year (along with Stinsons of course). So this group from South Carolina may have  more meaning for me than I can fully realize now. Should I be looking for Stinsons and Stephensons in Indiana. Could these be a clue to Henry Williamson's wife or mother? Are they connected to my Finks or McQueen family? Is there more for me in Canada than I have seen so far?

1 comment:

  1. A quick survey of the Stinson/Stephenson book I found online gives some information on Stephensons in Scotland, England and Ireland but moves pretty quickly on to the Immigrants to South Carolina.

    http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/stoz/stephensonfamily01step.pdf

    ReplyDelete