Monday, October 25, 2010

16 slow markers map

After I made my 9 slow markers map, I decided to push it out to 16 FTDNA slow markers to see what pattern would emerge.
This map takes the person's word for it unless they didn't know, then I used house of names, or surnamedb. Also it's fair to note that there are repeated names in this map which may add weight to certain areas. I put a Dameron in Belgium (where HON wants them) I put one in Ipswitch and one in Suffolk (where they place themselves). I have a Campbell in Argyllshire (their listing) and one in Strathclyde (HON). I have a Knowlton in Kent (their listing) and one in Dorset (Surnamedb and world names profiler puts Knowlton in the Cornwall/Dorset area). I put Steiner in Somerset (HON says Austria which makes sense, Surnamedb says Somerset..either would match my maps). I put Norton in Kent, although it's also supposedly from Argyllshire and world names profiler has it as most popular in Southern Ireland.

Here is a closeup on Britain:

2 comments:

  1. When I went further to 20 plus slow markers there were only two left. Knowlton and Norton. Knowltons typically hale from Kent or Dorset. Nortons from Kent, Ireland or Argyllshire. Kent seems to be the common ground there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I've been in contact with a person running the Knowlton DNA project and looking at Knowlton postings online. Knowltons are not extremely popular in Britain. According to people profiler there are many more Knowltons in the US. Mainly in the Northeast from Massachusetts up to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. There appear to be two very distinct genetic lines of Knowltons one R1b (possibly S21) and the other T. Their family history has a mythological beginning with a sort of crash landing in Nova Scotia and two brothers who are the beginning of each line. Of course the two brothers are not related and the whole story is under suspicion now. Also there appears to be some discussion about the Family being from Kent and that being an also mythological beginning. Family mythologies are common. All Thompsons are said to spring from Thomas Coor or Thomas "the uneven" of course genetics shows that it cannot possibly be true for everyone.

    ReplyDelete